MenuSearch

Don't forget your carbon monoxide alarm

January 15th 2016
By: Mary.Wilkins
Don't forget your carbon monoxide alarm

Most of us have smoke alarms in our homes – legislation states that all new homes built since 1992 have them wired in as standard and provide us all with peace of mind should the worst happen.

Less common but just as dangerous – some may say more so – is carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon Monoxide is produced when fuels don’t burn completely.  This usually happens when a boiler, cooker or gas fire is installed incorrectly – or not maintained properly.  These appliances should be serviced every year but many people forget or don’t know about the importance of it.

The gas is odourless and colourless and can only be detected by an alarm, they only cost around £15 so it’s a small price to pay.

The main symptoms of CO2 poisoning are headaches, nausea, dizziness, breathlessness and finally collapse or loss of consciousness.  If the symptoms disappear when you are away from home, then see your doctor as soon as possible.