MenuSearch

Spotlight on Horley

February 24th 2015
By: jon.acquarone

Horley is situated on the boundaries of Surrey and West Sussex – and has been in both counties during its long history as the county boundary was moved.  Since 1974 it has been back in Surrey and is now likely to remain there following the Charlwood and Horley Act of that year.

It is a small town which has become increasingly popular with commuters.  Rail links to London are good with direct trains to London Victoria, and London Bridge stations. Road links via the M23 and M25 mean that the whole of the south east is easily accessible.

The Archway Theatre is situated under the arches of the Victoria Road railway bridge.  It has an auditorium which seats and audience of 95, a studio theatre which seats 40 people and rehearsal rooms as well as a bar.  The theatre company presents ten productions a year and also showcases studio events and youth productions during the year.
Sports are catered for with Horley Town FC which dates back to 1898.  There is also a rugby club, tennis club, cricket club and bowls club.  There is a large recreation area which is home to the War Memorial, Ornamental Gardens and playground – including a skatepark.

The town has an active town council which encourages all residents to get involved with different events during the year.  Their website clearly shows the pride that they take in their town.

Grade I listed St Bartholemew’s Church dates has been welcoming people for over 800 years and the bells from the church give their name to the ‘Ye Olde Six Bells’ pub next door.  It claims to be the second oldest pub in England and has origins dating to the 9th century.

There are a number of local schools to choose from for both infant and primary aged children.  There is one high school in Horley and sixth form education is usually completed at Reigate College or East Surrey College.
 
St Bart's Church, Church Road is a Grade 1 Listed Building which goes back to the fourteenth century. It was heavily restored by A W Blomfield in 1881-2 and the south aisle, west porch and organ chamber and vestry were added in 1900. It now consists of an aisled nave, chancel, south east organ chamber and vestry, north west tower with shingled spire, and north and west porches.