At this time of year Hampton Court Palace hosts the wonderful RHS flower show which started this year on the 30th of June and it finished on Sunday the 4th July - visitors came from far and wide to be dazzled by the wonderful multitude of display gardens, to get lots of hands on advice and shopping galore. It’s the 25th year of this annual event, and to mark their anniversary they have created several themed events including silver anniversary flowers, historic gardens and scarecrows marking the past.
The show finished yesterday, but we found these interesting facts on the RHS website:
Did you know...
- It takes three weeks to build a show garden & two weeks to build a small garden - but they're dismantled in just three days.
- An average of 130,000 people attend the show every year.
- The Floral Marquee is 6,750 square metres, big enough to fit an FA football pitch, it will feature more than 100 nurseries and growers in 2015.
- The British Rose Festival was introduced in the second show, in 1991.
- There are seven exhibitors that have taken part in every show since 1990: Blackmore & Langdon, The Botanic Nursery, Fibrex Nurseries, Hardy’s Cottage Garden Plants, Southfield Nursery, Squires Garden Centre and WS Warmenhoven.
During show week, visitors consume:
- 48,501 cups of fair-trade tea and coffee
- 15,029 rounds of sandwiches and 1,500 baguettes
- 14,274 glasses of Pimm's
- 14,868 glasses of champagne
- 5,598 flower pot muffins
- 4,357 slices of cakes
This year Hampton Court Palace also celebrates its 500th anniversary, and they are celebrating by putting on special historical events throughout the year, such as jousting in the Tudor Summer Palace, dancing lessons and court etiquette in Queen Anne’s Summer Palace and many more events. To find out more please visit their website http://www.hrp.org.uk/HamptonCourtPalace/WhatsOn/hampton-court-palace-flower-show